Sunday, April 24, 2011

holidays

When I was pregnant every time a holiday...no matter how obscure...I thought "next year I can celebrate that with the twins or next year we can celebrate that because the twins will be here". Then their 1st year we did celebrate a lot of random things and we went over the top on everything. My brother, sister, and sister-in-law all got presents for 'National Aunt and Uncle Day' and my parents got 'Grandparent's Day' shirts....we celebrated the day the twins came home from the NICU (after a 7 week (48 day) stay). We celebrated the anniversary of them being released by going back to the NICU and seeing the nurses...We threw a HUGE 1st birthday party...literally 50 + people were there! On top of that, we took a posed picture for every month 'birthday'...they were in the NICU for their 1st and 2nd month birthdays and I remember driving the hour and 15 minute drive late at night just to be there for their 'birthday'. 

Then they turned 2...their birthday was in joint with their great-grandma (Gram) who turned 70, their grandma (Grandma) who turned 50, and their aunt (Aunty Courtney) who turned 18 with just some family and a couple of friends came and went because we took a trip to my mom's house. We didn't even acknowledge Grandparents day (because I totally forgot), Easter was bigger than last year just because we can do more, but I just realized I didn't even remember about their NICU release anniversary...that was such a major day for us and I didn't even remember...2 short years later!! and...I totally forgot about their 'month birthday'...which is INSANE since for the past 2 years I've done that every month. 

What happened? Why when they were infants/babies I remembered every holiday and every anniversary and announced to the world these moments but now that they are 'kids' I don't remember. 

I wonder if it's because I'm comfortable in this role. I don't feel the need to remind myself that my brother, sister, and SIL are aunts and an uncle...I don't need to remind my parents that they are grandparents....I don't need to remind myself about when the twins' were finally able to come home...because those moments are in the past...they are and will forever be the twins' aunts and uncle and grandparents and as much as it's nice to acknowledge those things...I don't feel as though I HAVE to remember. I don't have to relive the memories of not having my children at home and the feeling of happiness/dread/worry/anxiety of having 2 newborns at home! 

I love this comfort level...where I don't feel like I'm always trying to one up someone or trying to remind myself of my new role. I love being and knowing I'm being a mom...everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment